Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RDP, can it be done safely?

From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <Thor () hammerofgod com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 22:33:01 +0000

This is not correct.  While the default setting for an RDP connection is "client-negotiate" that does not mean that you
will automatically get a no/low bit encryption session.   And one should note that this has nothing to do with "local"
or "remote" users:  To be pedantic, *all* RDP sessions are "remote."  You can easily configure the server to require
certificate-based TLS encryption and have a host of other transport security options.

I'm not sure what you mean by "if the users are remote you might find it easier to user another remote access
solution."  That makes no sense to me.

Daniel - If I understand your question, your concern with having standard users connecting up to and running software
on a server machine, correct?   This is typically where most people fall short in application deployment via terminal
services.   You should certainly make sure that the users are standard user and that you've properly ACL'd off the
application and data.  The model you describe sounds relatively straight-forward in that the server will be a dedicated
application server (if I understand correctly).  When you have high numbers of users where some are local
administrators and they all have home directories with various access points to shares, etc, there are other, more
complicated methods you must consider when deploying TS.

I've done fair amount of work with RDP, so I'm happy to help if you can give me some more information.