Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RDP, can it be done safely?

From: "Daniel Sichel" <daniels () Ponderosatel com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:35:22 -0700

We have a boneheaded group of software developers who even in this day
and age eschew the client server model of software for the easier dumber
run it from the console school of design. So I have this idiotic Windows
accounting application that MUST run on an application server, cannot be
run from a client.  Rather than have my accounting department log in
directly to the physical box, I would like to have them use some flavor
of terminal services on my Windows server. My question therefore is, can
I turn on RDP safely, without exposing my Windows server to risk of
exploitation?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dan S.