Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Why the IPS product designers concentrate on server side protection? why they are missing client protection

From: "Cor Rosielle" <cor () outpost24 com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 14:52:51 +0200

Nelson,

You're missing one point: Host IPS MUST be deployed with any Network
Security (Firewalls os NIPSs).
Please be aware this is a risk decision and not a fact. I don't use an host IPS and no anti Virus either. Still I'm
sure my laptop is perfectly safe. This is because I do critical thinking about security measures and don't copy
behavior of others (who often don't think for themselves and just copies other peoples behavior). Please note I'm not
saying you're not thinking. If you did some critical thinking and an host IPS is a good solution for you, then that's
OK> It just doesn't mean it is a good solution for everybody else and everybody MUST deploy an host IPS.

No security solution/technology is the miracle protection alone,
That's true.

so that's the reason everybody is talking about defense in depth.
Defense in depth is often used for another line of a similar defense mechanism as the previous already was. Different
layers of defense works best if the defense mechanism differ. So if you're using anti virus software (which gives you
an authentication control and an alarm control according to the OSSTMM), then an host IDS is not the best additional
security measure (because this also gives you an authentication and an alarm control).
This would also be a risk decision, but based on facts and the rules defined in the OSSTMM and not based on some
marketing material. You should give it a try.

Regards,
Cor Rosielle

w: www.lab106.com