Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: How Prosecutors Wiretap Wall Street

From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists () tx rr com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 12:30:25 -0600

--On Tuesday, November 03, 2009 22:52:28 -0600 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:13:24 CST, Paul Schmehl said:
Of course, without a warrant they can't wiretap anything.  Furthermore
every warrant to wiretap has to be accompanied by evidence that justifies
the warrant and signed by a federal judge who agrees that there is
sufficient cause for the wiretap, and illegal wiretaps will not only get
your case thrown out of court but your butt thrown in jail as well.

You're new here, aren't you? :)

We're talking here about the FBI, which has had problems with their abuse
of surveillance from J Edgar Hoover's early years up to the recent problems
with abuses of NSLs.  And you expect us to believe they'll toe the line
when using this surveillance ability?

No, nor did I state that.  I said that illegal wiretapping will get thrown out
of court and the perpetrators jailed.  That's a separate issue from whether or
not agents will all act within the law.

Oh, and how much time did J Edgar spend in jail for his illegal wiretaps?
And how much time will anybody spend in jail for the NSL abuses?

Depends on whether anyone decides to prosecute.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst