Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: How Prosecutors Wiretap Wall Street

From: "Ivan ." <ivanhec () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:04:41 +1100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WourPs56Shc

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 1:48 PM, <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 17:42:37 CST, Paul Schmehl said:
You and millions of others love to conflate those issues with warrantless
surveillance of US citizens for the purpose of obtaining evidence in a
criminal
investigation and then scream bloody murder about warrantless
surveillance and
intrusions of our rights.

OK, so in your opinion we should sit back and accept the legal theory that
"I'm
the President, and as Commander in Chief I can give orders contrary to the
usual 4th Amendment restrictions" (note carefully that there was *NOT* an
actual formal declaration of war made - Congress merely authorized the use
of
force. Many constitutional law experts seem to think this makes a
difference).

So it is OK if as President, he decides to suspend habeus corpus?

If it's *not* OK, how do you intend to complain once your corpus can't
be habeased any more?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" -- Thomas Jefferson.

In other words, the time to raise a fuss is *before* they go down the
slippery slope, not once they're 3/4 of the way down and in an uncontrolled
slide.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a
cross." -- Sinclair Lewis, 1935

And that's why we raise a fuss.  You may wish to read Naomi Wolf's "Fascist
America in 10 easy steps":

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/apr/24/usa.comment

And that's why we raise a fuss.