Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: can someone please try and explain to me....

From: J Michael Graham <jmgraham () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:06:58 -0400

Man, I LOVE sayin it. I say it all the time. Boss comes in talking
about budget cuts, I just stand up shouting "CYBERWAR!!" and he backs
out the doorway. Mission accomplished.

On Jul 9, 2009, at 11:56, foofus () foofus net wrote:

Why people call this so-called Korea DDoS a cyber war? Don't people
know
how the Internet works yet?

The problem isn't that people fail to understand how the Internet
works
(they do fail at this, but that's not the problem).  The problem is
how
exciting it is to use terms like "cyberwar."  In the words of a
prominent
researcher:

  if [people shouting "cyberwar"] want to be taken seriously, they
need
  to start releasing proof to the mailing lists and name specific
  intelligence agency's who are conducting the Cyberwar. I don't think
  there is a cyberwar, there will be intelligencers probing the
networks
  for secrets, thats not a cyberwar. Cyberwar is something completely
  different [...] Cyberwar *could* be real, *look at this*. Although
  the truth is, we haven't seen a Cyberwar yet, it's still in the
  imaginary dream book stage.

Regardless of one's understanding of the Internet, getting to say
"cyberwar"
is just too tempting for lots of people to resist.

--Foofus.