Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: NTLM Multiprotocol Replay attacks

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:30:50 -0500

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:46:50 GMT, n3td3v said:

We should bring in a law to stop criminal hackers from profiteering
from their crimes or otherwise reaching any kind of stardom.

You might want to actually investigate what the law really is in your area.

In most areas, there already *are* laws that specifically prohibit or
severely restrict a convicted felon's ability to profit from their
notoriety by selling interviews/books/film rights/etc regarding the
crime in question.  This is why OJ Simpson will probably see next to
zero profits from any "How I did it" books he tries to sell (the victim's
family has first claim on that money), and why Kevin Mitnick can write
a book about 'The Art of Deception' and make money off it, but he'd probably
be on shaky ground if he wrote a book *specifically* about the hacks that
got him landed in jail.