Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Need some help with management

From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists () tx rr com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:24:35 -0500

--On Thursday, May 22, 2008 09:51:01 -0700 Daniel Sichel
<daniels () Ponderosatel com> wrote:

My management here wants to put a server on our LAN, not administered by us
(the IT department) and use a share on it to serve files and data to our
workstations.  They do not understand why having a server with a file share
that is NOT part of our secure infrastructure represents a threat to the
computers accessing it. Keep in mind this is an all Windows network. Sooo, if
you guys can succinctly explain why having a trusted computer trust an
untrusted computer is a problem, that would be helpful. Keep in mind we are
talking to management here. It’s kind of like trying to explain why, when
you are in the United States, it’s a bad idea to drive on the left hand
side of the road. It’s just so basic it’s not documented anywhere. So,
please help me explain why netbios and file shares on machines not within
your network are bad ideas.

OK.

So, Mr. PHB, why is it that your chauffeur stays with your limo when you're not
there?  Because you don't want to trust your limo to just anybody?

:-)

--
Paul Schmehl
As if it wasn't already obvious,