Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Wachovia Bank website sends confidential information

From: Bob Toxen <bob () verysecurelinux com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 03:28:45 -0400

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 09:39:33PM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 20:20 -0400, Bob Toxen wrote:
VI. VENDOR RESPONSE

The vendor (Wachovia Bank) was notified via their customer service
phone number on June 25.  We were transferred to "web support".  The
person answering asked us to FAX the details to her and we did so,
also on June 25.  We explained that we were reporting a severe
security problem on their web site.

Severe?  All that seems to be leaked is a person's Name/Address/SSN
number and some other details.  While this is too much info to leak, I'd
hardly say it's severe.   That same info can be easily found in people's
mailboxes weekdays between noon and 4pm.
Leaking a SSN is considered serious.  My use of the term "severe" was
to get their attention.

We stated that that if we did not hear back from them within 7 days and
the problem was not fixed by then that we would post the problem on the
Full Disclosure list, following accepted industry practice.

7 days?   "industry practice"?   Come on Bob I know you know that large
corporations can't feed a cat in 7 days let alone make unscheduled
website changes that fast.  Change control approvals alone would include
14 or more days in most enterprises.   Why the rush to "say so"?
Please read my posting more carefully.  I stated that if I did not
hear back within 7 days and the problem persisted then I would disclose
it.  All they had to do was to ask for more time and I would have granted
any reasonable extension.  Instead, it appears that they ignored my
report; discouraging that is what Full Disclosure is all about, IMO.

I think that that web page should have been shut down within the
hour as any competent web person could have confirmed the leak with
a few minutes' inspection of the page source.

-Jim P.
Bob