Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Sniffing RFID ID's ( Physical Security )

From: Meder Kydyraliev <meder () o0o nu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:01:53 +0800

Hi Josh,

I have very little knowledge of RFID and how it works. But, I believe,
the answer to your question would depend on the type of card we are
talking about. If that's simple proximity card (the one that simply
sends serial number to the reader), then you can easily duplicate it,
see this for details: http://cq.cx/prox.pl By "easily" i mean you have
necessary gear or knowledge on how to build the device presented at the
URL. But a contactless smartcard , e.g. Sony Felica (used in southeast
asia for public transportation), which supposedly performs mutual
authentication and encryption (AES IIRC), could also be used for the
same purpose.

My 0.02 KGS

I assume you've seen: http://www.rfidanalysis.org/

Meder