Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Sniffing RFID ID's ( Physical Security )

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 00:57:06 -0400

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:24:35 +1000, mikeiscool said:
eh?

surely a RFID would only communicate it's private token with a trusted
(i.e. keyed) source.

like a smartcard ...

Well.. Yeah.  That *would* make sense.

Unfortunately, some beancounter would likely realize they can shave $0.02 per
card by doing it the easy way, or that they can save $40K by hiring a
bonehead designer rather than a clued crypto geek.

If all software was actually designed and implemented to the "Surely it would"
standard, most of the people on this list, both black and white hats, would
be unemployed.  Fortunately for our collective ability to cover our rent checks,
almost all software has "Surely they *didn't*" flaws in it....