Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Sniffing RFID ID's ( Physical Security )

From: Brate Sanders <brate_sanders () yahoo co uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 06:56:32 +0000 (GMT)

----- Original Message ----
From: Josh L. Perrymon <joshuaperrymon () gmail com>
To: full-disclosure () lists grok org uk; dailydave () lists immunitysec com
Sent: Tuesday, 27 June, 2006 9:41:23 AM
Subject: [Full-disclosure] Sniffing RFID ID's ( Physical Security )

My ideas on RFID risk in its current implementation:
I'm thinking a lot of the risk with RFID would be within ID cards and physical security. I have been in 100's of
companies that use RFID ID cards for physical security to access a building. Just rock up and swipe your badge in front
of the reader right???

What if an attacker was sitting at the cafe downstairs sniffing RFID ( Well, sending out RFID signals to power the
chips and get a response ). Wouldn't it be trivial to obtain the STATIC ID codes stored on the RFID chips and write
them to a generic chip? THis new card could easily be used to walk right in  to the target company? As we all know..
once your inside it's trivial to root the entire network.  Just insert your usb/ CD with an autorun backdoor sploit
connecting outside OR plug in a small wireless AP.

I am sure RFID has a lot of issues and problems associated with it. But if you can walk into a building do something
and walk out to hack later, the company has a lot of security issues it needs to handle before starting to worry about
securing their RFID access mechanism.

There may be some scenarios where a bad design or implementation is causing a problem or data loss/theft. But what
specific problem have you seen or are concerned about? Or at least care to share the reasons for your concern?