Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: scanning

From: "Nightfall Nightfall" <danzigfour () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 13:26:05 +0800

On 6/2/06, Simon Smith <simon () snosoft com> wrote:
Guys,
    It is not illegal to port-scan a target IP with or without
authorization. It would be impossible to prosecute someone because they
portscanned you. Hell, it would be near impossible to prosecute someone
who ran nessus against you but never penetrated your systems. From
expereince, the FBI only takes interest in crimes that cause roughly
$50,000.00 in damage or more. If you are below that mark or if they are
too busy... you won't get jack unless you pay for it.

David Alanis wrote:
>> Depends on the Jurisdiction... However If I found out that it was my
>> site, I'd have to debate on whether or not to sue your ass... But that's
>> just me...
>>

> You would not sue anyone. Thats just saying that you would sue anyone under the sun trying to ping or go after some
bot trying to scan your Apache box for IIS 5 vulnerabilities. My point is, even if you did realize someone was actively
scanning your host, there would be nothing you could do, I think it would be too time consuming. Yet your question still
stands. Is it legal or illegal?

> David

BullGuard Anti-virus has scanned this e-mail and found it clean.
Try BullGuard for free: www.bullguard.com

I brought up this topic coz of these incident
-http://www.pinoytechblog.com/archives/tridel-settles-with-inq7net-on-vulnerability-test-suit
.
I was wondering if they were justified in suing the perpetrator who
did the vulnerability scan on their network.