Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: PC Firewall Choices

From: Juliao Duartenn <juliao.duartenn () oblog pt>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:28:51 +0000

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 23:33 -0500, greybrimstone () aim com wrote:
Thats assuming that malware isn't being designed for that firewall. I'm
sure you already know that software is software regardless of the
hardware that it is running on. Likewise a vulnerability is still a
vulnerability...

I suppose you could r/o the system... but you need to write the confs
somewhere right?

-Adriel

Configuration on a hardware firewall is usually a pretty stable thing -
you don't go around opening ports at random every day, now do you?

Most modern {linux|bsd} firewall implementations can now run from a
read-only device, namely CD-ROM, and also write their configuration to a
removable device that you can manually set RW or RO - floppy, USB pen,
etc.

Of course, since most implementations mount parts of the filesystem into
RAM, you're still vulnerable to attacks, they are merely non-permanent,
if you reboot you are clean again, albeit with the original hole still
present, i'd say.

There are, of course, solutions for that too, but I still haven't seen
one that really works - meaning that it can detect and prevent tampering
in real-time. The best thing I can remember is running tripwire against
a RO database on CD, but that can still be tampered with. Any thoughts?

Juliao