Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: PC Firewall Choices

From: Nic Werner <nicwerner () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:04:57 -0800

ZoneAlarm - gets in the way, and hard to diagnose problems. You end up
turning it off because it never remembers your settings and you can't
trust it.

Kerio - I liked the best, but the GUI would crash when trying to
display all your packets. This is a known bug. Allows you to create
rules, and to see how they are applied in comparison to the
system-generated rules. Definitely try.

8Signs - Said it had stateful packet inspection, but didn't. I gave up
trying to poke a hole for TFTP.

I haven't tried Tiny, its next on my list. The toughest part about
these firewalls (for me) is determining how/when a packet is filtered.
Does it hit the internal rules first or does it check against yours?
If one time you hit Permit on a pop-up window, can you go into the
program and find rule?