Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: Re: montspace -- child porn (site still up)]

From: Steve Kudlak <chromazine () sbcglobal net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:56:29 -0700

n3td3v wrote:

On 4/17/06, Gary E. Miller <gem () rellim com> wrote:
Congratulations, you whacked a mole.

This is the funniest shit i've ever heard. The government or whoever
setup the website will be pleased. Although the government or whoever
should let providers know when theres a mole website on their network,
so they are aware not to shut the website down.

I hate to get into International Law stuff here but oh well it is necessary. Usually I prefer to just watch the goings on from a distance. Interpol and legal entities in the UK setup sites to attract kiddie porn afficiandos, This works in the UK and Europe but fails in the US ever since the FBI lost the "Innocent Images" case in the 3rd Circuit. Mind you it was the 3rd Circuit and not the much malingned 9th Circuit. The FBI and other enforcement authorities would have liked to have held that it took "just one click to convvict". However it can be sucessfully argued that lots of people, specifically investiagtive reporters and others covering the "Internet Beat" look at all sorts of sites to get a "lay of the
land/net"

These sorts of things are old hat to those of us who look over the civil liberties balancing act that goes on in International Law. There is a lot of differenfce in the US due to the US Bill orf Rights, battered as it is by worries about terrorism and the like. Some rights which are automatic in the US are pretty alien in other places. Of course Canada is an even more curious situation where there are thing one can do but one can not film or boradcast, Anyway this gets intertesting and convoluted but I doinno whether it we should go thruough all of it in full disclosure. Although disclosing the full state of our cyber rights would be an interesting thing to explore if it could be done without as much going into speculatuion
amd fantasy as usually happens.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve