Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Shell accounts

From: "Ian stuart Turnbull" <ian.t7 () hotmail co uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:26:24 +0100

Sorry folks,
my inquisitiveness has got the better of me again.
After reading some info on hacking it refernces getting a Shell account.
Is this a unix type bash/bourne shell? It mentions that to remain anonymous you will need a Shell account. I know there are a number of places offering free shell accts some with an out to the internet others without.

Suppose I had a friend who had a Linux connected to the internet and I got him to set me up a username. As long as his machine didn't do any logging [and he pretended not to know of anyone using this account] would I - using sssh to connect] be traceable.

No I'm not planning on doing any hacking or causing mischief. Though I'd love to know who's trying to get into my machine... but thats another story!!

Ian t