Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: IMLogic telling porkies about Yahoo

From: "Mary Landesman" <mlande () bellsouth net>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 19:51:32 -0400

Yahoo IM has yet to have an IM worm on its network

There has been no Yahoo IM worm, period.

Both quotes from your blog post. And I answered both your own statements,
YIM has had worms and there have been Yahoo IM worms, period.

But since the vast majority of IM worms don't send binaries, I'd be curious
to know exactly what role your honeypots play. Are these Yahoo's honeypots,
sniffing traffic looking for suspicious chat messages - or are they confined
to your own chat sessions with friends? Also, doesn't Yahoo IM first try
server brokering but resort to server proxy if the first attempt fails? If
so, how can you be sure how much traffic your honeypot is even seeing,
assuming it's a Yahoo honeypot and not a homegrown sniff your own.

-- Mary