Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Cisco IOS Shellcode Presentation

From: "Geo." <geoincidents () nls net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:56:38 -0400

Read the advisory a bit closer. Here the relevant lines:
"Products that are not running Cisco IOS are not affected.
Products running any version of Cisco IOS that do not have IPv6
configured interfaces are not vulnerable."

Yes, IOS versions that have the fix, or that don't even run IPv6 are not
*vulnerable*. But all IOS versions are *affected* by the *mechanism* he
described. <<

It's acutally a bit worse than that, IPv6 is enabled on all interfaces, you
have to execute "no ipv6 enable" and "no ipv6 address" command on each
interface to disable it.

Second, the exploit is limited to local network segment, except it seems to
me a worm that spreads from router to router could spread via the local
network since a local network segment is usually defined as the wire between
two routers.. Infection would spread from one router to it's peers, to those
peers, etc. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Geo.