Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Scan for IRC

From: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman () ip-solutions net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:55:45 -0500

Use ngrep to look for signs of irc (i.e. PRIVMSG) instead of just looking for the ports irc (ususally, but not always) runs on.

something like: "ngrep -qitd eth0 'privmsg'" will probably get you much better results.

HTH,
Harry

ALD, Aditya, Aditya Lalit Deshmukh wrote:
How do u know that you are looking for the irc traffic ? Somewhere you must
have see connections going out to some host or some connection attempts. You
could always try sniffing using that ip address on all ports if you have set
up everthing else correctly...
How ever if something is not setup correctly then you would have trouble
shoot this. Maybe posting some more info will help us all diagnose this for
you and help u out - maybe offlist ?
-aditya