Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: complaints about the governemnt spying!

From: "Bob Radvanovsky" <rsradvan () unixworks net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:22:54 -0600

See comments below.  -rad

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Horsfall" <dave () horsfall org>
To: "Full Disclosure List" <full-disclosure () lists grok org uk>
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 3:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] complaints about the governemnt spying!

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Stan Bubrouski wrote:

safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Jefferson, 1759).

That's actually a Benjamin Franklin quote, which is worded about 1000
different ways depending on the source.

The above is close; the main points are "essential liberty" and "a little
temporary safety".

In your example case of aphorisms, you are correct.  One is from over 200
years ago, the other less than 40.

In the meantime, perhaps some, umm, US patriot could tell me who authored
these particular aphorisms:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants."

This was quoted from General Hummel (actor Ed Harris) from the movie, "The
Rock", and was a paraphrased quote from Thomas Jefferson
(http://www.monticello.org/reports/quotes/liberty.html)

"The Tree of Islam has to be watered with the blood of martyrs."

This was quoted from the Ayatollah Khomeini in the late 70's/early 80's,
probably just before the uprising within Iran.

I'm having trouble seeing the difference.

-- Dave, who is not pro-US, so therefore has to be anti-US, according to
Shrub