Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Most common keystroke loggers?

From: "Jan Nielsen" <jan () boyakasha dk>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 23:37:09 +0100

That question opens up a whole lotta other questions, really depends
on
what you hope to achieve by doing authentication via a compromised
system.
In my book you should instead try to detect a compromised system and
deny
them access if they are indeed compromised, ...

Obviously, then, your book does not include the phrase "Halting
Problem"...

Sorry, I don't follow you there, you mean that the scan would halt the
system ? fair enough, I don't think any method of scanning a target is
fool-proof, no matter how its done.

... that would be in the end-users
best interest I think (and of course report your findings to the users
mailbox or something, don't tell the hacker that you detected his
keylogger :-)

And what machines do you think users are most likely to check their
mail from?

Thanks for pointing that out, but you would wan't to somehow relay to
the person not gaining access, why they are not getting in though, a
textmessage/SMS might be wiser.

And, of course, your suggestion raises a primacy issue -- if you
actually did detect the user's machine was compromised before they
logged in and thus prevented allowing the login by not allowing the
login dialog to be displayed or somesuch (thereby saving the user
compromising yet more of their data), how in the heck do you know where

to send the warning mail?

Hmmmmm...  Methinks you should think more before responding.

Again, somehow they need to know, i don't have any ideas that can't be
intercepted on a compromised system, other than SMS/textmessage or
something.

Regards,

Jan

Regards,