Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Most common keystroke loggers?

From: "Jan Nielsen" <jan () boyakasha dk>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 01:10:51 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: boyakash () cp goodydomains com [mailto:boyakash () cp goodydomains com]
On Behalf Of Nick FitzGerald
Sent: 3. december 2005 00:22
To: full-disclosure () lists grok org uk
Subject: RE: [Full-disclosure] Most common keystroke loggers?

Jan Nielsen to me to Jan:

Obviously, then, your book does not include the phrase "Halting
Problem"...

Sorry, I don't follow you there, you mean that the scan would halt the
system ? fair enough, I don't think any method of scanning a target is
fool-proof, no matter how its done.

Ahh, no...

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

Good to know, i did not know that this dilemma had a name :-)

It would be _nice_ to do that, but it is an equally fraught problem.
After all, even if you could entirely reliably programmatically
determine that the users's system was compromised, you cannot trust any

response from the system, or that any message you try to send to them
to alert them to this will not be intercepted by some warez put on the
system as a result of the compromise...

Good point, I guess I am glad I am not trying to design this system.

... a
textmessage/SMS might be wiser.