Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Most common keystroke loggers?

From: Gustavo <gugdias () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:16:55 -0200

2005/12/1, Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>:
Some South American banks currently under massive identity
theft/keylogging "attack" (like Banco Brasil) apparently don't talk to
others in the banking industry, as some have recently started using
such "on-screen keyboards" to "defeat" the keylogging attackers that
hound their customers.  Within a very short time period we saw some of
those keyloggers adapt by adding screenshot-grabbing of a small area
around the mouse point hot-spot.  Seems they talked with uninformed
"security consultants" rather than folk who know how systems work, what
malware is, what it can do that it may not be doing today and, in this
case, what has already been tried and trivially beaten...

They (Banco do Brasil) are currently using a software, automatically
installed into the user's system without his explicit knowledge
(coming together with the java visual keyboard) that is meant to
prevent malwares. The software, named Gbuster and installed as
gbieh.dll, works silently and uses malware techniques to avoid being
deleted or uninstalled, giving no such option.

If you don't understand that all the I/O on the "compromised" machine
(for the types of machine we are talking about) can be intercepted, you
shouldn't be trying to answer the OP's question (and if the OP
understood that, he would not have asked as he would have realized he
was aiming at doing the impossible).

Agree. I answered based on the premise he wanted to get rid of the
keylogging, only.

Regards,
Gustavo