Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Oddness with the MS antispyware beta

From: "MN Vasquez" <mnv () alumni princeton edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:02:38 -0700

I don't know if this is programming technique is "common", but I've not seen it before.  I'm running the MS antispyware
beta 1 on Windows XP sp2.  I hooked up a 2nd monitor to my laptop.  I set the resolution to 1600x1200, and the monitor
position in relation to the primary, is to the left.  Align the bottom screens.  You can use a different resolution, I
imagine, if you offset the positions of the monitors.

On the 2nd monitor I found a program window "hiding".  Basically, in a very odd position -- on a typically
non-displayed portion of the desktop, which I only found by configuring multiple monitors.  It seems the programmers
are "hiding" a window, which I have attached as a jpg.  For those that don't want to open an attachment:

there are 5 buttons: systrayhide, systrayshow, systraynormal, systrascanning, systrayupdating.

The window title is gcasDtServHolder

Clicking the buttons modifies the tooltip associated with the system tray icon.  I can hide/show the systray icon.  The
status of the icon also changes from Active to Running when Normal is selected, and I then click either the Scanning or
Updating button.

Closing the window removes the system tray icon and apparently closes the program.

I do not know if this possibly leads to a vulnerability or not.

Mike