Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Scandal: IT Security firm hires the author of Sasser worm

From: Barry Fitzgerald <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:58:28 -0400

ktabic wrote:

No, no need to spell it out any clearer. You made my point.
Mr. Abagnale is an expert in and on the finacial institusions and fraud,
who (in return for a reduced sentence) provided that immense knowledge
to the industry and has even worked towards getting the industry to
adopt meathods to reduce fraud by designing systems that (we hope) he
himself cannot beat.

If you can build a system that you can't beat, you aren't smart enough to claim to be able to create unbeatable systems.

A truly intelligent and informed designer understands the shortcomings in their systems, and shortcomings always exist somewhere.

Actually, you ignored the portion of Harlan's message that actually applied to your point: That Abagnale does, in fact, profit from his past through work he's done for other companies. It doesn't matter whether he consulted with them or was hired directly -- trying to bring that up is splitting semantical hairs and I'm not interested in that kind of foolishness.

Perhaps the reason that you don't need it spelled out is because you're really not interested in putting the words together in the first place?

            -Barry

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html