Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Teen hacker controls ebay

From: "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten () rohrbach de>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:18:30 +0200

Florian Weimer(fw () deneb enyo de)@2004.09.10 03:14:10 +0000:
* Rainer Duffner:

Personally, I can't comprehend how the default for something like that
would be "Yes",

Because, if the ISP is bankrupt, the "YES" will never come.

And that's a problem because of ...?

Operations. Some of us call it daily business.

DENIC (the registry) claims to have a direct contractual relationship
with all domain holders (not "owners", registering a domain doesn't
grant you ownership, at least most of the time).

Which means what, if you chose a "cheap domain" wholesale provider who
"accidentally" sets himself as admin-c?
Which means what, if you happen to _move_ a domain from one provider to
another, implying consent between the two ISPs involved?

In theory, you would resolve such a problem with DENIC.  In practice,
DENIC doesn't have the infrastructure to deal with bankruptcy even of
a small DENIC member/registrar.

DENIC could not care less, if your current ISP's gone bankrupt or what
not. It is not their business. You mail in a KK (request for "connectivity
coordination") and they process it. Finito. If your ISP does not answer
the request, the KK will be ACKed, which is a good thing.

Also, provider "lock-in" is not possible this way. No provider can block
your domain for transfer without a "NACK", which would have dire
consequences when it hits the courts.

IMHO (and several others more involved in the domain-trading biz)

The problem is that domains are used for more things than just for
domain trading.  The current focus on easy domain transfers might have
made sense a few years ago, but now there are some major stakeholders
which will simply put DENIC out of the loop if the DENIC processes
can't guarantee stable delegations, for whatever reason.

DENIC is probably just the messenger in this game. Don't shoot'em.

If a 3rd party registry acts on behalf of their customers with DENIC,
they need to play by the rules. If they don't, the customer has a
problem.

FWIW, I get unauthorized KK requests every now and then, which are
passed to me by my ISP. I NACK them, end of story. My ISP plays by the
DENIC rules and passes me the requests in-time, so it's no biggie.

Regards,
/k

--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come.