Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Teen hacker controls ebay

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 03:14:10 +0200

* Rainer Duffner:

Personally, I can't comprehend how the default for something like that
would be "Yes",

Because, if the ISP is bankrupt, the "YES" will never come.

And that's a problem because of ...?

DENIC (the registry) claims to have a direct contractual relationship
with all domain holders (not "owners", registering a domain doesn't
grant you ownership, at least most of the time).

And I'd like to see you scramble to get your domains from a bankrupt
hoster to another one, waiting for that simple "yes" to your transfer,
which will never come as all lines have been cut and not a single bit
will ever come from their /24 or /16 again...

In theory, you would resolve such a problem with DENIC.  In practice,
DENIC doesn't have the infrastructure to deal with bankruptcy even of
a small DENIC member/registrar.

IMHO (and several others more involved in the domain-trading biz)

The problem is that domains are used for more things than just for
domain trading.  The current focus on easy domain transfers might have
made sense a few years ago, but now there are some major stakeholders
which will simply put DENIC out of the loop if the DENIC processes
can't guarantee stable delegations, for whatever reason.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html