Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Spam sent via spambots?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:57:13 +1300

In another thread Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

Securing every machine on the internet would be a good start. 95% of all
spam messages I have seen lately gets send from DSL or Cable IP addresses.
These are machine which run spamware without the user knowing (s)he is
sending out spam by the buckets untill their ISP shuts them down.

Really?

95%?

Does anyone have sound statistics on how much spam comes from DSL/Cable
IP-space?

And further, does anyone have any idea how to pick apart how much of
that is simply relaying type activity vs.dedicated spam-bot activity?

On the first question, I've seen many estimates over the last year or
so suggesting everything from 25% (admittedly that was one of the
earliest such estimates) to 40% and 60%, and recently a few claims of
the "as much as..." variety pegging it at 75% and 80% (don't ask for
references -- this is all from memory...).

So, has any really good, large-scale sampling of these issues been
done, perhaps by the large Email/anti-spam managed services folks??

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.