Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [in] Re: IE is just as safe as FireFox

From: "Gregh" <chows () ozemail com au>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:37:34 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: <jbernts () broadpark no>
To: <full-disclosure () lists netsys com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 12:34 AM
Subject: Re: [in] Re: [Full-disclosure] IE is just as safe as FireFox

Quoting Raoul Nakhmanson-Kulish <raoul () elforsoft com>:

Hello, Curt Purdy!

Upgrade W2K to XP?  I call that a downgrade! I won't allow XP (sp2 or not)
on my network.
Agreed, I feel 2K to be more reliable than XP too. But mainly this is
only my feeling, could you explain and prove it by more solid arguments
than feelings?

--

Windows 2K is much easier to reinstall than Windows XP,

Since when? I have to deal with any Windows from 95 on upwards in my small networks I see. 95-ME are so easy to
reinstall it is laughable.

W2K-XP reinstalls are harder but both remain equally the same so far as reinstall is concerned. My main annoyance with
both is that if you are restoring an image to another machine in the case that the original machine is just toast, you
can almost always never immediately use the restored image unless it was restored to a machine with exactly the same
machinery in it. The restore requires some more work to get it working and ever when working often requires a registry
hack or upgrade to the next SP in order to fix networking problems. Either way, it isn't hard, just annoyingly extra
work that shouldn't NEED to be done. XP has one extra that W2K doesn't have in that it would require you to reactivate
it in order to remain "valid" and sometimes that varies from "reactivate NOW" to "Reactivate within 3 days". You never
find a customer who, with a large network, wants to make sure that every new machine has multiples of the same parts in
case of breakdown of parts on the machin!
 e - understandably - either so you are ALWAYS faced with those problems now.

I never see any difference in a W2K reinstall to XP reinstall, either fresh or from my preferred source - an image.

Greg.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html