Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Time Expiry Alogorithm??

From: Andrew Farmer <andfarm () teknovis com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:27:47 -0800

On 23 Nov 2004, at 15:02, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Andrew Farmer:
Especially considering that there aren't enough atoms in the universe to
store all that precalculated data, nor enough energy to do all the
calculations.

Typically, such estimates ignore the possibilities of quantum
superpositions.

On the other hand, we have yet to create a practical quantum computer.

(Schneier says that there's enough energy in a supernova to do about
2^224 operations on a 100% efficient computer. And remember that AES
or PGP take multiple operations to calculate results...)

Schneier's estimates are wrong.  They are based on the incorrect
assumption that all bit operations are irreversible and
entropy-increasing.  There is no hard evidence that this is true in
general.

On the other hand, we have yet to discover a way to circumvent the second
law of thermodynamics.

If quantum computing comes through (and I doubt it will), we'll all start
using quantum encryption. Until then, 256 bits is good enough for me.