Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Time Expiry Alogorithm??

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:44:14 -0500

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:09:19 +0530, "Gautam R. Singh" said:

I was just wondering is there any encrytpion alogortim which expires with tim
e.
For example an email message maybe decrypted withing 48 hours of its
delivery otherwise it become usless or cant be decrypted with the
orignal key

So now it's 3 weeks later, and I can't read the email...

So I set the date on the PC back 20 days, and now it's within 48 hours
of delivery.  Now, what was this about "unreadable"?

You really can't make this dog hunt without a tamper-proof time source
(a smart card or dongle or similar).

(And yes, I know they're not *REALLY* tamper-proof - but getting into a
smart card is a lot harder than resetting the date... ;)