Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Wireless ISPs

From: Scott Manley <djsnm () djsnm com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 04:48:18 -0700

On the other side of things, I've recently encountered internet vendors who're reassuring customers that they use HTTPS for online ordering. But when I've ordered something from them they've e-mailed me asking for proof of ownership of the card - they either want a fax, or for me to e-mail a scanned image of my credit card.

When I ask them they say that their bank is requiring this to combat fraud.

I'd really like to know which bank is insisting that customers send credit card info over e-mail - even if it is somewhat obfuscated.

Most don't.  Even most pronted receipts don't include all the numbers of your credit card any more - but some still do.
Few, but a number >1.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html