Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Calcuating Loss

From: Michael Schaefer <mbs () mistrealm com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 08:57:48 -0400

Loss?

One of my biggest complaints is the way the industry "loses billions" whenever a virus or worm breaks out.

I mean, securing and maintain your server is not a loss. Installing and updating your anti virus or IDS package is not a loss. All of these things should have been done anyway.

If a server goes off line, I guess you could measure the revenue it may have produced as a loss, but technically, that is lack of income, not true loss.

If you see someone complaining about all the money they lost doing what they should have been doing all along, I just see spin. And politics.

Michal Zalewski wrote:

If we must toy with bogus marketspeak "equations", shouldn't E - at the
very least - numerically correspond to the consequences (loss?) caused by
an event, rather than being an event itself?

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html