Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Odd packet?

From: Valentino Squilloni - Ouz <ouz () people it>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:07:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Mike Klinke wrote:

[...]
Even the OP didn't mentioned this.  I'm proned to believe those
packets have 127.0.0.1 as the source of the packets.

You're correct. I thought I'd sent this to the list last night but
didn't watch the to: field carefully enough on my reply.

I don't know the mechanism but I think I know what you were
seeing.  Here is an ethereal packet capture from the time.  We, too,
were constantly seeing our ISP controlled perimeter router sending
these packets to our internal equipment. The source MAC address here
is the perimeter router (Cisco 1700) and the ISP was pretty much
stumped over the cause.

[...]
Internet Protocol, Src Addr: 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1),
  Dst Addr: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
Time to live: 121
Protocol: TCP (0x06)
  Src Port: 80 (80), Dst Port: 1319 (1319),
  Seq: 0, Ack: 986251265, Len: 0
Source port: 80 (80)
Destination port: 1319 (1319)
Flags: 0x0014 (RST, ACK)

Ok.  It seems the case described.  A spoofed packet with your IP as the
source tries to connect to the compromised machine to port 80 at
localhost.  The compromised machine doesn't have a webserver listening at
127.0.0.1:80 so the tcp stack replyes ACK RST and sends this packet to
your spoofed address.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html