Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: A rather newbie question

From: David Hane <dlhane () sbcglobal net>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:34:59 -0700

Harlan,

On Monday 03 May 2004 10:31, Harlan Carvey wrote:
Ethan,

I just wanted to point out that this is probably the
no.1 security fallacy I hear among my endlusers.

Having done vulnerability assessments for a long time,
one of the biggest issues I run up against is admins
who refer to users as "lusers".  Funny joke, yeah, but
a lack of discretion points to an underlying attitude,
which can be a real problem.

While I think you have a point I also think Ethan has one too. It is important
to remember that users are generally clueless and/or unconcerned with
security. Of course I'm grossly generalizing but I think you get my point.
Keeping in mind that the weakest link can be the average user is always a
good idea. And who would argue with idiot proofing any system, computer or
otherwise?

So I think a little harmless joking amongst ourselves isn't necessarily all
bad :-) After all, how many ID10T errors have you fixed in the last week ;-P

Dave

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html