Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SSL compliant IRCd's?

From: petard <petard () freeshell org>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:21:17 +0000

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 12:18:05PM +0200, Gadi Evron wrote:
Anyone has any details regarding current useful IRCd + SSL
implementations they can recommend?

I'd appreciate any input.

DISCLAIMER: I've only toyed with this with a very small, very
sophisticated user base. These are simply a few lines from my boookmarks
file that may be useful to others. I'm not really recommending these :-)

1. Using stunnel. Should work with any ircd:
http://zine.dal.net/previousissues/issue18/editorial-tech-ircd.php

2. A not-too-active fork of bahamut with SSL support:
http://cs-ircd.sourceforge.net/index.php

3. An (apparently unmaintained) ircd written in perl with SSL support:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pircd/

4. An actively developed interesting ircd based on hybrid-7 and bahamut:
http://tr-ircd.sourceforge.net/
useful supporting services:
http://www.ircservices.za.net/version5.html

5. SSL plugin, for those that insist on mIRC:
http://www.bovine.net/~jlawson/coding/stuntour/

6. Epicssl ircd:
http://epicssl.sourceforge.net/

7. sircd:
http://www.sircd.org/

When I played with it, we just used ircnet's ircd from OpenBSD's ports
collection on the server along with stunnel. All clients were either
FreeBSD or OpenBSD boxes with BitchX.

At the end of my experiment, I concluded that a TLS-enabled jabberd
would be more useful to all involved.

regards,

petard

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.