Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: M$ - so what should they do?

From: Duncan Hill <dhill+fulldisc () cricalix net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:17:12 +0100

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 07:31, Aditya, ALD [ Aditya Lalit Deshmukh ] might
have typed:

CON and NULL should stay but COM, AUX and LPT should go away. i had a
server in which the script kiddes got into the ftp server and made a COM1
folder on ntfs. had been a pain in neck to rename that folder - had to use
linux with ntfs support!

If memory serves, 2K+ has a POSIX toolset that lets you remove those
privileged files.  I know I tested it once, just to make sure it would work
(though the server never got compromised).  I don't think NT4 did though.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html