Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: M$ - so what should they do?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:58:51 -0400

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:55:55 EDT, joe <mvp () joeware net>  said:

You say you can use any editor to look at the config and you don't need a
proprietary editor. What you mean is you can use any editor that uses the
file system API to open and display the config files. With the registry you
can you use any editor that uses the registry API to open and display the
configurations. I have written several registry editor type apps for
customers, it is simply another API. For me writing a text editor is the
same as writing a registry editor, in fact, the classes I put together treat
them both very similarly from code use perspective.

Well.. given that the file system API you need is basically open(), read(),
write(), close(), and maybe a few umask() and chmod() calls, plus any fcntl()
or similar locking for some of the files.  The bar is set *really* low here..

"any editor" really means *any* - vi, emacs, perl, awk - I've been forced into
using sed, ed, and cat on occasion if /usr isn't available, and even the shell
'echo' operator and >> redirection a few times... ;)

Of course, you're free to create your own API and classes on top of those very
low level pieces.... but there's no requirement that you do so.