Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Flawed arguments (Was all that other crap about PFW day)

From: "Erik van Straten" <emvs.fd.3FB4D11C () cpo tn tudelft nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:04:59 +0100

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:38:49 -0600 Paul Schmehl wrote:
--On Friday, January 16, 2004 4:14 AM +0100 Erik van Straten
<emvs.fd.3FB4D11C () cpo tn tudelft nl> wrote:

[snip]

Nope. It translates to not needing simple PFW's -for ingress traffic-
if there are no listening ports. Flaws shouldn't have been there in the
first place, and any found should be fixed ASAP%001.

Well, hell, let's ban iptables, ipfw, pf, ipchains, et. al. from
"workstation" installs of *nix.  After all, *nix is secure out of the box,
right?  And PFW's just give people a false sense of security anyway, right?

[snip]

With ABS you can drive much closer to the car in
front of you. With AV and a PFW people tend to believe it is safe to
run any exe (or hta). Marketing helps making people believe this.

I have to agree with you here.  It's been made obvious to me by the posts
today in this thread.

Explain this contradiction in your rant and we may talk

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html