Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Interesting side effect of the new IE patch

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:01:21 +1300

Stefan Esser <s.esser () e-matters de> wrote:

...  If the community had not accepted this as standard it
would not be in other browsers (like mozilla), too.

Of course, we could look at this the other way...

Perhaps the other browsers had to add support for this non-standard
syntax _because_ Microsoft not only supported it, but was pushing it in
its documentation, etc.

From that perspective, it should be expected that we will see
Netscape/Mozilla (Opera does not directly support this non-standard
anyway, so there goes your "all standard browsers" claim) remove
support for this dangerous, formerly MS-driven non-standard extension
because surely the Mozilla developers will not want the label "makers
of a browser with a lower security standard than IE"...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html