Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Email

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 08:35:15 -0500

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:04:26 PST, D B <geggam692000 () yahoo com>  said:

I wish for someone from experience to explain to me
why any virus can infect any mail server / user  when
those administrating a mail server can make a mail
server handle mail in the manner I pasted a snippet of

The "cannot be represented" wasn't done by the mail server, it
was generated that way by MyDoom itself, and is a big chunk of why
it was so successful.  It *conceals* the fact that it's an executable
binary and gives the user a plausible reason why they should open it.

The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII
encoding and has been
sent as a binary attachment.

"Wow, I wonder what it is.... <click click>".

Social engineering at its finest.  :)