Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Email

From: Ake Nordin <rootmoose () telia com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:54:55 +0100

At 04:04 2004-02-04 -0800, you wrote:
I'm by no means a security expert nor do I want to be,
but while I read this list at 3 am my mind wanders and
I wish for someone from experience to explain to me
why any virus can infect any mail server / user  when
those administrating a mail server can make a mail
server handle mail in the manner I pasted a snippet of
from my own in-box.

The text for human consumption retained below was in
the mail from the outset, it has not been "transformed"
to something "harmless" by any intermediate mail relay.

It's just the beginning of a plain MIME BASE64 encoding,
your favorite mail client is all too well ready to decode
it back into executable format and run it, should you
decide to click on the attachment in the mail.

The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII
encoding and has been
sent as a binary attachment.

Regards,

--
  .
 /Ake Nordin       +46704-660199       rootmoose () telia com

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html