Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: OpenPGP (GnuPG) vs. S/MIME

From: "Aditya, ALD [Aditya Lalit Deshmukh]" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway technolabs net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:30:55 +0530

I'd like to open a discussion about PGP vs. S/MIME .

I've been pondering secure (or at least verifiable) mail lately and I
see these two standards as the main options available at this point.

It seems to me that PGP is the better of the two options because:
- - cryptographically, it appears more secure (i.e. larger public key
sizes possible)

no i can make pgp keys of 8192 bit size as well as openssl key of the same size so the larger key sizes is not an issue

- as you asked it i tried to download a version of pgp that would make keys greater that 8192, i got ckt verison that
can make 16 * 1024 bit keys but with openssl i can go higher very easily like 32 * 1024 bit

about key algos / hash algos

both can use the same algorithms viz: MD5 and SHA1
and encryption can be 3DES or AES

- - it seems to be more widely used

based on what data may i know please ?

- - it is easier to use (debateable)

debetable, yes but both have good frontends that are freeware and very stable to for everyday use.

- - its free

both are free ( pgp is on gunpg.org and ssl is at openssl.org )

- - PGP in general is more flexible

flexible is a very general term, depends upon what you are doing.

the only

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html