Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MyDoom.b samples taken down

From: Kurt Weiske <kweiske () kataan org>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:48:57 -0800

Nick FitzGerald wrote:

I know most of you will not believe this because you so stupid you already believe that live virus samples are _just_ information and therefore _should_ be subject to "full disclosure" (this is a special form of ignorance that very little empirical evidence seems able to budge

Before I make a judgement here, are you against publishing the virus in executable form that could be accidentally launched, or against publishing the virus in any form?

If the latter, then perhaps you might find other mailing lists with a more sympathetic audience. If the former, after consideration, I agree. Handling a live virus is akin to handling their real-world counterparts, and having some protection against accidentally launching it on a production system is a Good Thing. I've renamed mine to a non-executable extension, and they're off my production boxes.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html