Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: GAYER THAN AIDS ADVISORY #01: IE 5 remote code execution

From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr () eclipsed net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:53:01 -0500

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:12:59AM -0800, Tim wrote:
Say you are an engineer at a large car manufacturing company.  Suppose,
6 months after the 2004 model of your sedan goes out the door, you
discover, as an engineer who helped build it, that the car's frame is
flawed.  Suppose that it is so flawed that after 3 years, it may break
due to normal use, potentially causing bad crashes.

You are under several misperceptions.

The first is that this IE bug is life-threatening. It's not.

The second is that IE cost the users' money. It didn't.

Is it your moral obligation to notify customers?  Sure you are going to
fix it in next year's model, that is a given.  But what about all those
people with a potentially deadly model?

It's not my moral responsibility to list every single component
that's wrong if I recall the vehicle. Microsoft has, several times
now, recalled the vehicle and replaced it for free.

Where's the problem?

Obviously, this is not the auto industry.  Some will argue that we are
not talking about life-and-death situations here.  But the reality is,
we are.  Software bugs can cause death, and have before, both on the
small scale, and the large scale.

This is outrageous FUD. Web browsers are not used in medical
appliances.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr () eclipsed net