Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: WIndows XP SP2 "breaks" things

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 03:40:36 -0700 (PDT)

All I can say about this, Greg, is...well...duh!

Just FYI, my company is experiencing a high volume
of calls from customers
claiming that they have installed Windows SP2.
Customers claim that SP2 is
"breaking" previously working network behavior.
Initial testing indicates
that the cause is the "Internet Firewall" settings
on SP2 which have been set to default closed!

I guess MS is just responding to the public's
requests.  Sure, they could've done a much better job
of detecting during installation whether the system
was part of a domain or not, but you know, there has
been a great deal of documentation of the "on by
default" firewall settings in SP2.

Maybe someone should talk to your customers about what
happens when you install...well...pretty much anything
(patches or anything else) without some sort of plan.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html