Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Music Sharing.

From: "morning_wood" <se_cur_ity () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:39:34 +0530

IDS / SNORT p2p bullshit <--- stupid whitehats
http://exploitlabs.com/files/misc/badhat.txt

morning_wood

A few folks don't know that Snort can be a little more proactive than just
detection.  Check out:

http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.3.24

As for my comment, I agree with Jared's comment.  Be sure that your users
have
agreed to an acceptable use policy for your University/Company and by that
the accountability falls to them.  Also, I just say "be careful" because
it
can be a slippery sloap when companys start taking on accountability for
their employees behavior, on the Internet or otherwise.

:I think the key here is a strong enforceable communicated policy and
then
: identifying the traffic and addressing the

user. I would go with an IDS (Snort is a  good :choice to IDENTIFY as
you
can easily write the sigs). Now granted Snort could pick it up on
different
ports depending on what it was looking for, however you need to think
about
tunneled connections via ssh and ssl. A good client inventory app seems
be the best way to catch these... Ahhh big brother and his tools.

: Regards,
: Jared Bergeron
: Systems Analyst / E-Security
: XEROX Office Printing Business

I have always felt that solving personnel problems with firewalls is a
really poor use of time and hardware. Admin will end up chasing this all
the time as the P2P technology changes. Far better to run an IDS and log
the offenders, the let HR take care of this.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html