Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Computer Sabotage by Microsoft

From: Joseph Ercole <ercole () panix com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:21:58 -0400

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 09:31:16PM -0400, Jay Sulzberger wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, James Patterson Wicks wrote:

Sounds like someone did not read the XBox Live! EULA.  What happens is
the X-Box displays a message that you cannot play on Live! until you go
to the download center.  If you agree to go to the download center, I
would think that you would expect a download.  All you have to do is not
agree and stay out of the download center, but then again, that would
kind of defeat the purpose of playing Live!  Since the new Live!
dashboard is the "hub" of communication for the XBox now, I do not see
the point of staying with the old dashboard and not being able to connect
to anyone.

The point is that then you own your box, assuming you already have gained
control of it using the old "dashboard".

oo--JS.

This thread is making my head hurt. ;)

If you've "freed/hacked" your xbox - - - then using the xbox live
service is no longer possible.  This applies even with the (very neat)
dashboard/mechassault hack.  The guys working on it are trying to fix
this problem - - - the goal would be, naturally,
full-backwards-compatability.

If they're dealing with a non-liberated xbox, then I'm missing the
point.  Unless, I guess, if this is the first microsoft OS piece of
hardware someone owns.  Maybe he's never seen windows decide to go
right ahead and perform some crucial upgrades. . .

Quien Sabes?

j.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html