Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: OT: An odd question that has arrisen within my household

From: Joshua Levitsky <jlevitsk () joshie com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:53:20 -0400

On Oct 12, 2003, at 10:40 PM, Matt Carlson wrote:

1. What exactly defines a "script kiddie"?

2. Does using a port scanner make you a "script kiddie" since you yourself did not write the code?

3. Does it make you a script kiddie because it is a means of exploitation?

script kiddies     pl.n.     1. The lowest form of cracker; script kiddies do mischief with scripts and programs written by others, often without understanding the exploit.2. People who cannot program, but who create tacky HTML pages by copying JavaScript routines from other tacky HTML pages. More generally, a script kiddie writes (or more likely cuts and pastes) code without either having or desiring to have a mental model of what the code does; someone who thinks of code as magical incantations and asks only "what do I need to type to make this happen?"
<x-tad-bigger>
http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/s/script_kiddies.html</x-tad-bigger>

--
Joshua Levitsky, CISSP, MCSE